The Art of Music was founded in 2009; with a mission to promote the performance and appreciation of art music in Kenya and use its transformative power to change lives, particularly of those living in underprivileged areas of the country. We believe art music, with its traditions of structure, discipline, and excellence, can offer a great awakening and opportunity to a broad spectrum of Kenyan youth.
The Foundation focuses on two Programmes. The Ghetto Classics, a community Programmes that involves over 500 children in Korogocho and hundreds more in satellite areas around Nairobi, Kiambu and Mombasa through the Orchestra for Schools programme. The second is a musical and leadership training Programmes, The National Youth Orchestra of Kenya (KNYO), a music ensemble that brings together talented young musicians from all walks of life in the country.
The Art of Music also manages the Safaricom Youth Orchestra (SYO) who are currently in their ninth year.
The Art of Music Foundation aims to use classical music to inspire hope and help under privileged children in Eastern Africa achieve lasting change in their lives.
To use art music to inspire every child and young adult to realize their dreams and transform societies.
Our Values - The Art of Music Foundation believes in:
• Inclusiveness: We are open to anyone with an interest in art music who wishes to grow his or her skills.
• Excellence: We set and maintain the highest standard of art music.
• Integrity: We, from the outset, maintain clear and consistent criteria for joining and progressing with us.
• Enjoyment: We, while respecting the structures and disciplines of art music, never forget to enjoy music and have fun.
• Impact: We continuously strive to positively impact and transform lives through art music.